Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Smashing Pumpkins (Omaha, Nebraska)

So...I don't know how I missed this memo, but I didn't find out that the Smashing Pumpkins were coming to Omaha until the day before the show. Naturally, I was ready to throw in the towel considering it was a sold out show. But my friend Angie is awesome and was determined to get us tickets. We were gonna skip school and go scalp them, but luckily her boyfriend came through for us in flying colors to get the tickets.

After our classes that day we drove down to Omaha. We missed the first opening act, but didn't really care. The second opening act was...interesting...to say the least. "I think we're too sober to enjoy this" Angie said.

It took a while for me to get to the front where I wanted to be. There was a 7 foot doughebag in my way in one spot. I usually try to play it 'cute' to get closer to the stage...but for the first time it didn't work. *GASP* I must be loosing my looks with age. Sadness...I eventually got a good spot, but I felt bad because Angie told me to go up there without her because I wanted it more. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! I ended up standing next to a stage hand that smelled like dog poop and looked like Jack Black, but I didn't care.

The actual concert had it's ups and downs. The microphone didn't work half the time, but they made up for it in long guitar solos and face-offs.

After the show, we went behind the venue to try and meet Billy. He actually came out and did a group greeting. That was nice of him, considering he didn't have to come at all. I was standing a yard away from him. I was in awe...so I didn't take any pictures. XD (He's not Robert Smith, but he's been one of my long time heroes.) During this, a stage hand walked up and randomly handed me a pic signed by the bassist Nicole. So that was exciting. I had never gotten anything like that at a concert, but I always really wanted one. But I'm not the type to fight the crowd for it. Too scary.

After that we went to Village Inn, then crashed at my house for the night. My kitty Frankie was surprised. He loved me up hardcore for a long time.

So all in all, it was a good night. An awesome impromptu adventure if I do say so myself. Angie, you are awesome!!!!

*Picture Time!*



Billy during one of his many guitar face-offs with Jeff.



Billy and Nicole



Jeff..."So they replaced one Asian with another?" Best quote ever from Angie.



Currently hanging on my dorm wall. <3

Actually got other exciting concerts planned in the next few months. They Might Be Giants will be in Omaha November 1st. I'll be going to that one for sure with Steve and Angie. Then at the end of November I found out that Peter Murphy and She Wants Revenge will be playing Kansas City. Trying to put a group together for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment